On 25 January, after months of deliberation, Germany’s chancellor Olaf Scholz announced he would send Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine – and permit other countries to do the same. What led to this turnaround? Mark Leonard is joined by ECFR heavyweights on security and defence policy – Camille Grand, Gustav Gressel, Jana Puglierin, and Jeremy Shapiro – to discuss what this decision means for the war in Ukraine, for German diplomacy, and for transatlantic relations. Will the unity on show at last week’s Ramstein meeting continue in the long term? And what is the future of military aid for Ukraine?
This podcast was recorded on 25 January 2023.
- The Leopard plan: How European tanks can help Ukraine take back its territory by Gustav Gressel, Rafael Loss and Jana Puglierin
- Send in the Leopards: Why Western allies should deliver tanks to Ukraine by Margaryta Khvostova & Dmytro Kryvosheiev
- Les Ambitions Inavouées by Thomas Gomart
- Putin’s People: How the KGB Took Back Russia and Then Took On the West by Catherine Belton
- Maybe Esther by Katja Petrowskaja
- Peace Talks Between Russia and Ukraine: Mission Impossible by Sabine Fischer
- The Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr