The annual Munich Security Conference was themed “Westlessness”, defining “a widespread feeling of uneasiness and restlessness in the face of increasing uncertainty about the enduring purpose of the West”. Is the West becoming less relevant in global affairs? Are the West’s international partnerships endangered? And if so, what will the world look like in the future? Our Director Mark Leonard is joined by an all-star ECFR cast including Janka Oertel, Ulrike Franke, Ellie Geranmayeh and Jeremy Shapiro, for a very special episode recorded straight from the MSC – and covering everything from 5G, China, Iran and the future of Europe’s transatlantic relationship.
This podcast was recorded on 15 February 2020.
- Land of the lost: My trip to the Munich Security Conference by Jeremy Shapiro
- Europe, 5G, and Munich: The China challenge and American mission by Janka Oertel
- Facing the West’s Demons: The 2020 Munich Security Conference by Mark Leonard
- Westlessness: Lessons from the Western Balkans by Majda Ruge
- Charm defensive: Macron and the Germans at the Munich Security Conference by Jana Puglierin