On January 1, Portugal took over from Germany at the helm of the Council of the EU’s rotating presidency and the government set out three priorities for this presidency captured in its slogan “Time to deliver: a fair, green and digital recovery”. What is needed for a fair and inclusive climate and digital transition? What will the biggest short-term challenges be? And how can the Portuguese presidency strengthen European strategic autonomy? Mark Leonard is joined by Claudia Azevedo, CEO, Sonae, Teresa Gouveia, ECFR Board Member and former Portuguese Minister of Environment and of Foreign Affairs, and Carlos Moedas, former European Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation, to discuss the prospects of the ongoing Portuguese Council presidency.
This podcast was recorded on 24 February 2021.
- “Crisis presidency: How Portuguese leadership can guide the EU into the post-covid era” by Susi Dennison & Lívia Franco
- “Where Portugal can lead Europe in 2021” by Teresa Gouveia
- “Out of the south: Why Italy and Portugal should lead on climate change, health security, and multilateralism” by Teresa Coratella
- “Edge of the Atlantic: Portugal’s presidency of the EU Council” by Lívia Franco
- “A Superpower, Like It or Not: Why Americans Must Accept Their Global Role” by Robert Kagan
- “How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need” by Bill Gates
- “The world faces a pandemic of human rights abuses in the wake of Covid-19” by António Guterres
- “Mission Economy: A Moonshot Guide to Changing Capitalism” by Mariana Mazzucato
- “Think Again” by Adam Grant